Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Let's talk about...

Settlement/settlement agent, attorney, and closing. 

Homeclosing101.com (or .org) helped me understand the closing process.  I emailed my real estate agent a few questions because the terms threw me off a little.  Throw in title insurance and oh boy, talk about a headache.  He told me that title insurance (for the lender and me) are required in NC and will be something the closing attorney arranges.  I asked if I needed a settlement agent or legal representation.  He told me that NC law states I have to use an attorney to close a real estate transaction; this was in everyone's best interest so there would be no need for me just to have one for myself as the attorney (and I need to clarify whose attorney) would be looking out for both parties.  I asked if he could recommend someone who can handle title insurance as well as conduct the settlement.  He told me that the builders settlement company would handle that. 

I think it would be in my best interest to still have an attorney present, I'll get some referrals this week.  I've read over the information sent to me by both BB&T and NVR with respect to the business they recommended to handle settlement and unless I am misunderstanding, I need to make a selection from their lists or shop around. 

I may be jumping the gun, but I want make sure I have things lined up and I have a good understanding of everything. 

2 comments:

  1. Definitely better to be proactive on these things since sometimes the people you think should be on top of these things drop the ball!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great way to approach your questions/curiosity! Continue to follow your heart!

    ReplyDelete